Wednesday, July 17, 2019

It's only words, and words are all I've got...

New kid (19-ish) interviewed with bossman for a job at the golf course where I work part time.  "He's pretty shy.. nervous., literally twitching as we visited... I told him to relax, we have fun here."  To me, those are good signs.. he cared about how he came off.. he didn't wanna screw up (versus someone who simply wants to screw off)... So, boss called School where he went. "Oh yea, great kid, you won't have any problems with him."

First day on job, I was fortunate to be there as the trainer kinda-sorta (more about kinda-sorta later.)  He was just that.  Shy.  Caring.  Didn't wanna mess up.   I told stupid jokes, finally got a smile (more later about smile), then a laugh (that too)... soon, some comfort set in, we talked about college, and what his goal is... "Journalism."  This excited me.  A young gun, ANXIOUS to go learn, eventually work in a field with great return and utterly low pay.

He spoke "Went to Maryville one semester.. Now at Maple Woods" (Loved this too as I jumped in with "Me too!").. "Not sure where I'll go next.."   "MIZZOU!  They've got the greatest Journalism school around."  "Can't do that.. mom won't lemme... entire family is/are KU fans."  Bummer, maybe more on KU later.

So... his work morning was shortened by the need to go attend a Composition class.  Thus, this blog was prompted by the word composition.  I watched him walkout the door and I gleefully thought about all the words he's gonna share, opine in his lifetime.

Composition turned to words.. Words turned to "what are some favorites" and "least favorites."  My take:

Of course God is first.  Then I think smile is next.  Been to way too many funerals, but the ones that draw the most tears, heart tugs, feel goods, feel sorrys, are, for people that smiled more times than not. Smiling on the outside, life be damn you, I will not allow you to effect (or is that affect) my outside. Smile = yummy.

Yummy is up there too.  Yes, of course the male pig version, but too, anything that's fervent, uplifting, something that leaves one emotionally spent, but in a good way.

S'more on the Yours Truly WHB Top Forty list:  passion, fervor, hubba hubba, oh baby oh baby (yes, I realize them ain't ONE word, still, hopefully you get the point.)  Kinda-sorta, is wonderful for issuing one's opine (I likes opine too).  Kinda-sorta is a way to state one's belief, beliefs, without hopefully peeving one off - yet, it's bassackwardly emphatic in "sorry, that's the way I feel."

Flashmob (creativity, organization, feel, yum, without monetary reward - what better?).. Words in the newspaper that have ya glued to the article, seeing "continued on page _" and you anxiously, excitedly turn the page, find it's almost a full page, you happily refold the paper - and continue in the feel good absorption of the words you're enjoying.

Not long after the kid left for Composition class. my boss said "Vic, it's kinda slow, do you mind clocking out?"  "Nope."  I must notta put the emphasis, passion, fervor on my answer, cause he asked "Are you mad?"  Mad?  Retirement = laziness (earned, my take).. Clocking out means nap. It's what retired people do I've learned.  "No, I'm not mad.. only two things make me mad.. Tailgaters and arrogance.."

There, there's some words I ain't too fond of.  Fish is one too.  Aside from the fact the simple smell of fish makes me wanna run headfirst to the urinal bowl to upchuck - I no likey 'fish' as a technique some use to play the game "Ain't it awful", or, attempting to get your goat.  I don't have a goat, don't want one, but pisses me off when people try to get it.

There's a buddy I love (born bred in Missouri, transplanted Kansan), but he continually posts things anti-Missouri, arrogantly pro-Kansas with the ease of a Zebco 33, and the frequency of trout fisherman lining the banks of Roaring River on opening day..  Sometimes he hooks me,  I play the fool, but usually I try very bravely to not allow him to get my goat.

A few more yucky ones (yuck is a 'fav' unfavorite word):  Death. Divorce.  "I mean" when starting a sentence.. what if they don't preface with "I mean" in their next sentence?  Congressional debate.  My way or the highway (Fox News and/or CNN, real shitty bosses)... Uppity.  Judgment.  Victor, you just judged by stating 'uppity.'  Uh huh, did, you see, blogging allows one to talk outta both sides of the mouth.

I anxiously await the day someone says "I simply want to treat all people the same" insteada "from the CEO to the Janitor", "from the trainer to the star quarterback", etc.  Victor, you were doing OK on words you like, why don't you switch back?  Good idea, I'll switch back:

Hound.  Feline.  Friend.  Townie.  Nostalgia.  Kid.  Grandma, Grandpa, Mom, Dad. Baseball.  Football.  America.  Truth.  Compliment. Humility.  Colors, all.  Rainbows.  Beautiful.  Fun. Snickerfritz. Human. Delightful.  Magnificent.  Sunshine.  Gobbledygook. Doohickey.  Gadzooks. Goosebumps.  Heebie-jeebie.  Self deprecation.  Mouthwatering.  Heavenly.

Fart.  Such a powerful word. Fart makes children giggle and coworkers run.

What are some of your favorite words?  What ones conjure the need to vomit?  When's the last time you farted, and did anyone else hear it?

Good luck to that young man and his quest for a lifetime of words.

A lover of lyrics and levity from (and for) Liberty, Victurd

No comments: