Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Biscuit's got it gravy.....

Saturday night I was in a hurry to go to sleep early... I go to bed early sometimes, but I'm never eager to get there. Saturday however, was the eve of a, maybe 'bucket list' trip, to drive to Surprise, Arizona to see the Royal's Spring Training.. I was to travel with my best friend, ha.. me.

I had any, every thing packed and ready. I was once taught, when packing for a trip, get your clothes ready, then put half of them back in the drawer, "travel light" so to speak. So, that night, I had to damn near sit atop my suitcase to get it closed. Sorry, I am, always have been, hardheaded. Nuttin' wrong with having an extra shirt, pair of jeans, pair of shorts ready whenya need 'em.

Then, as I walked to turn off the lights, TV, to retire, oops.. i realized I forgot undies. Hehe. Needs me somea them, so, since there was no more room in the suitcase, a Piggly Wiggly bag would suffice. 

Alarm set for 4am, with goal of on the road at 5am..(up at 4 to make coffee, have coffee, get the peepers wide, wide open, and yes, have 'constitution'. Sorry, everything in life ain't necessarily a bed of roses.)

Done, did, driving. I took goofy notes as I went about scenery, interesting signs, sites, with particular emphasis on the boring drive thru Kansas (a runnin' border battle with a lifelong buddy).. with the end game to be a goofy blog about it. One sign announced "Bazaar Cattle Pin" and it even had a 'Scenic Overlook": My, my, my. No, I was in a hurry, kinda, I didn't take the exit.

Long about Wichita, wouldn't you know it, the Checkenginelight "Reduced Engine Power" thingy lit up.. It deactivated my cruise control, so I had to really 'punch' the gas pedal to get it to roll at the prevailing speed. As I did this, I didn't notice the RPM gauge going ballistic. Soon, the bellowing smoke from behind  blocked out the Wichita skyline. Oil a quart low.  Had one, put it in. Let the car sit a tad, started, no smoke.

Drove a few miles, again no smoke, checked oil again, all ok. So... keep on keepin on. Thru the panhandle of Oklahoma,across the brief tip of Texas, reaching Tucumcari, New Mexico to finally Horace Greeley "Go West young man..go West."

Radio ad about Santa Rosa, NM being a nice, friendly town, so, I pulled over to check the oil as i had done thru KS, OK, and TX. Low. 2 quarts added. Drove a few more miles, crap, low again. Something obviously amiss.. I'd decided to drive to the next exit, turn around and get back to the friendly town of Santa Rosa to see a mechanic.

Then, boom. Smoke, smoke and more smoke bellowing out, completely wiping out the view of the tumbleweed in my rear view mirror. Pulled off to shoulder of I-40, oil not registering AT ALL, put on flashers. 

Called Santa Rosa Police (non-emergency line) to see who they recommended for tow.. Gave me a name, number, but asked that I call back on 911 so they could get my exact location. Did. 31 mile tow back to Santa Rosa. Tow company also had a garage where they worked on cars, not to mention a special rate arrangement they had with Super 8, and, ultimately a ride up to their front door.

I really thought my car would make it fine.. but after I saw the flow of oil coming out when we dropped the car off made me think it was 'terminal.' In fact, by the next morning, I'd found a car to buy..friendly little town, the guy with the car for sale, picked me up at the Motel to see it, and he also dropped me off at the garage to hear of my car's terminal diagnosis.

By now, I knew in all likelihood, Spring Training wasn't happening, I got another night at the Super 8, and I sat in the garage awaiting the certain verbal "may your 2008 Grand Prix RIP" pronouncement be issued.

There, I met "Biscuit", the mascot dog of the Tow Shop/Car garage. Biscuit was about as tall as a footstool, and just about as wide. He wasn't, admittedly, pretty..but he was pretty cool. He had a bed to sleep in next to the floor heater..a food and water bowl on the other side.. as the day progressed, he'd go scratch at the door when he wanted out.. and also back in. 

Meantime, he'd sit in the sun in the driveway of the garage and stare out at all the traffic, happenings going on around him on old Route 66.

The mechanic John, addressed me with "Sir" each time I spoke to him. I asked the older lady (probably 10 years younger than me!) "That John is nice, is he the owner?"... "He is a good dude, but no, I am the owner." Also learned Biscuit belonged to her, watched her go/come, and each time as she did, she called Biscuit, and he rode shotgun on every trip.

Gravy. This Biscuit had it made like gravy. Urban Dictionary,when defining gravy states "Mostly used in the context of good, great or delicious. It may also be used in the context of if something is without hassle or without problem." Biscuit's life was gravy. Made, in the shade...or, in the sun if he so preferred.

So, back to Victor. Oh woe is me, I envisioned batting practice going on, chalk lines, hopeful kids, shorts/T-shirt/shades and wolfing down a hot dog as I watched. By this time I had to make a call to cancel my reservations in Arizona or risk having $400 smackers taken out of my account for a hotel I would never see. Did cancel. Oh woe is me.

I'd talked to John, the mechanic, early morning, and he too thought my car was probably shot. Long about 11:30am, he came in and told me, "You know, I think your engine is fine, it's got a front right oil seal leak.. the part has been ordered, will be here within the hour.. we'll have you back on the road soon after."

During this wait, Biscuit made his way to the door, outside, back in, many, many times. Soon, those treks included a swing by the picnic table where I sat, for a little ear rubbing, petting, "smalltalk" and tail wagging (both of us!).. He was cool.

I was admittedly down, not out, but down. Biscuit including me in his traversing helped ease the fact I wouldn't see Whitt, Gordo, Mondi and a Yost of others.

Wondering how long this lady, the owner, had been spoiling Biscuit like crazy I asked "How old is Biscuit." "I'm not 100% sure.. if you've noticed, he goes with me everywhere. If I'm there, he's there. I've had him 10 years. You see, when I got him, it took almost 2 full years for him to develop complete trust in me. He's losing his two front teeth. Vet says it's because the previous owner must've kicked him."

Holy crap. Suddenly I felt a fool for worrying about missing the Royals/Dodgers game that day. 

"Mostly used in the context of good, great or delicious.  It may also be used in the context of if something without hassle or without problem."  Biscuit's got it gravy, and damn I'm so very happy he does.

 Once my car was finally fixed, I thanked, bid adieu to John, the owner lady, and of course to Biscuit. I lay in my bed at the Super 8 completely relaxed, fat and happy that night. The trip wasn't a complete home run, but i sure had fun rounding the bases, meeting people, seeing some pretty cool sites, wondering about the folks that lived in those small towns in the middle of nowhere.. and of course Biscuit.

Yes, Biscuit's got it gravy.. looks can really be deceiving sometimes.. life is hard, and bless those who never show that it is.. a huge lesson i learned for this bucket list of life.

Love and pets, Victurd

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very cool. Love how you can find the best in whatever life throws your way!