Saturday, April 11, 2015

Take the long way home.......

Observation, or sometimes lack thereof, is (to me) an interesting thing. I have this goofy habit of combining song lyrics, and sandwiching a blog in between.

Today, I took the long way home. Victor, are you going to share dirty laundry? Nope, but I am gonna thank a doctor, a friend and a hospital. For five years I've had a blockage in my leg. Dreadful pain to walk a distance, oh, say from the meat department in Wally World, down the aisles to the Automotive department. Dreadful. So, the roto rooter thing last Tuesday, absolutely no pain.

Today, the hound and I took the long way home, a 2 and 1/2 mile walk. Zero pain, first time, long time. Thanks Doc, friend, hospital.

For years, I've often heard the Supertramp song "Take the long way home" - and ain't never really listened to the words. Like, long ago, I asked my then wife "How long have we had that picture?"..."Two years." Duh.

Roger Hodgson, who penned the song relates "It wasn’t consciously about people I knew. There is a double meaning to that song. There is the obvious meaning of taking the long way home when you don’t want to get back home to your wife but there is a deeper meaning of taking the long way home about what really has meaning in life. You can take the long way home to your heart. You can look back on your life and wonder where it has gone. You wonder where the meaning of life has disappeared to."

Well, drop the 'don't want to get back home to your wife' thing cause that wasn't the case.. It's, to me, more about appreciation. Listening. MAKING things meaningful. Keeping a journal in our minds of daily life. Watching the color and grasping the awe of the trees insteada "can't see the forest for the trees."

Not moping about what we ain't got, but being gracious, and appreciating what we do. We (speaking of me) maybe zombied out on occasion in life. Divorce is no fun. Her side, his side. Of course, me, I'm perfect. Ha! Looking back at marriage, and at life - perhaps I didn't always travel with enough appreciation. Perhaps age has taught me the importance of appreciation, dunno.

Gas usedta be so dadgum high we never took the long way home. I wouldn't care if it went up two bucks a gallon tomorrow, I'd still take the long way home next time. See, live, appreciate.

I have a friend.. two actually, taking the long way home: LA, Tokyo, Singapore, Delhi, Munich, Venice, Croatia, Slovenia, Newark, Kansas City. I mighta missed a point or two, but.. that's a long way home. I hope a journal is kept, both in writing, and in their minds.

I (miserably) do the New Years resolution thing.. the exercise fit.. Why, I've even quit smoking seven times.. This I know though: I WILL walk the rest of my life in appreciation. Things, people, events, places, learning, et al. I guess it could be akin to taking the long way home.

Love, Victurd

No comments: