Thursday, December 27, 2012

Simon says........

A winter's day
In a deep and dark December;
I am alone,
Gazing from my window to the streets below
On a freshly fallen silent shroud of snow.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Weird, to me, that sometimes when we seek, crave, desire 'others', be it relationship-wise, friendship-wise, we resort, resign to being alone.

I've built walls,
A fortress deep and mighty,
That none may penetrate.
I have no need of friendship; friendship causes pain.
It's laughter and it's loving I disdain.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

We tell ourselves "it's ok, I didn't need/want that anyways."

Don't talk of love,
But I've heard the words before;
It's sleeping in my memory.
I won't disturb the slumber of feelings that have died.
If I never loved I never would have cried.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Sometimes hard to cipher Simon. Not sure if he's giving up, or, wanting so badly.

I have my books
And my poetry to protect me;
I am shielded in my armor,
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb.
I touch no one and no one touches me.
I am a rock,
I am an island.

Pain (and much good) come from relationships. Alone too causes pain, but perhaps
it's sometimes easier to absorb that kind rather than having to wade thru the other kind.

And a rock feels no pain;
And an island never cries.

Crying happens on islands too, it's just not as easily heard. One too can be 'mated' and so alone. Seen it (others). Been it. Tires spinning on ice. Walking into a 40 mph wind.

I/we, could give up. Some do. I won't. Ever. (And getting out has nothing to do with me just smoking my last cig... Just like going to the gym has nothing to do with spandex.)

May you be a rock in 2013. Sure, hurts. Sure, causes pain. Visiting an island can be very therapeutic. Living there, not so much.

Happy day, Victurd.

No comments: