Monday, September 06, 2010

Population 8909... Small town.....

Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Prob'ly die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

Well, not wholly true.. Was born in a big town (St. Louie).. 19 homes by age 9, when finally landed here, in this hometown, small town. Father chased every better paying job. Announced shortly thereafter “here we go again.” Sister, entrenched in HS as a Soph in this small town, thankfully, pitched hissy. Been here ever since.

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity

I love Liberty, my small town. Close enough to The Big City, employment to be had. Fun/culture to find. Serenity upon return. The City of trees. Turn of the century homes. One way streets leading from West edge, to East side, the beautiful Liberal Arts college - and back to the West. Good, good people 'tween.

Educated in a small town
Taught to fear Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another born romantic that's me

I can’t imagine NYNY.. LA.. Phoenix.. Chicago.. Going to the Piggly Wiggly with no hope of seeing anyone you know. Small town getting bigger. Usedta wave at approximately every third car. Nuh uh, not now - yet, it’s somehow kept it’s small town charm.


But I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an L.A. doll and brought her to this small town
Now she's small town just like me

Again, not wholly true. Got me one from Independence. She took off for a bigger town, prolly had nuttin’ to do with me huh? Ha! Second one. Same small town.. Well, you know small towns.. We now reside one on the Southa enda this small town, one on the North. Hope she still enjoys this small town.

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

So, so many wonderful people over the years. The ones we grew up with.. The ones I went to college with that came for four years (Ok, some of us more) and loved our small town too during that time.

Got nothing against a big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and that's good enough for me

Small town is comfy. Familiar. You know what you’ll get, day in, day out. Good people (not that there ain’t good people in big towns.. It’s just a camaraderie kinda thing that I’ve grown to love.).. You can run onta one ya ain’t seen in twenty years, and presto, it’s 1965 again. Smiles. Laughs. Sharing. Indulging. Enjoying. Yesteryear is with us daily in the backa our minds - so mebbe, kinda keeps us young. (Fear of aging/being nomadic, or enjoyment of living/remembering the wonderful past, will let you decide.)

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Again, mostly true. Burn me though. A bitta ashes on the City Park ballfield - so, so, so, so many small town memories there (and, thank the Good Lord at age fitty-seven), continuing to make ‘em. Mebbe a sprinkle at the college.. The yarda that place I grew up in. Mebbe a pinch in the old cemetary, many a fun hour there walking hounds.. I’m all about this small town. Finish dumping the bottle at the old High School.

Sure, wonder what life woulda been like some out there from our small town that’ve wandered to CA, Illinois, TX, AZ, WA, Central/Eastern MO, you name it. Me, I still love this small town. Hindrance to growth? Thankyouverymuch, but, this small town has given me so much laughter, fun, trust me, I’ve grown hella DEEP arcs from the corners of my mouth that arc up toward the nose. (Big town technical name for that is “Nasolabial Folds”, I much prefer to call it small town fun that I’ve had. Small town growth. Gonna die in the small town. My choice. Thank you Vanda for throwing that baby hizzy back in 1961.

Give me Liberty or give me…….. never mind. Think I’ll stay here awhile. Good Lord willin’.
Happy town to you, no matta the size, Love, Victurdsimpleton.

No comments: