Sunday, September 12, 2010

Occupied.

Very interesting word. Today, for me, it meant traversing thru the life and times of Hank Williams on youtube and wiki. Sad. Such talent, taken too soon. Spina bifida ‘helped him’ occupy much of his time with alcohol and drugs.

Reserved. Engaged. At work, when I phone companies and vendors across the land.. I get the infamous “Who’s calling please?”… This, is the determent of whether or not the other end is ‘occupied’. I’ve used: Al Gore.. Tom Cruise… Bob Dylan.. Lynyrd Skynyrd. Works. Suddenly they come to the phone, mostly with certain S-eatin’ grin wondering just whointhehell it is on the other end. Me no likey when folks are judgmental about whether or not anuther is worthy of their time. The disdain of it all occupies too mucha my time when making those calls.

Friend… Somewhere around July 4th, recently returned from mission in an ‘occupied’ country wrote “It is so good to be home, I will never take water, no soldiers with machine guns on the streets everywhere, and freedom for granted. This 4th of July will have extra meaning.” Very nice Kay. Me thinks we don’t occupy enough of our own time realizing just how damn good we got it here.

Life happens. Would love to have been onea the ones to emulate/follow the path of my parents/grandparents.. Boo-koo years, same mate, same bed, occupied by same person all those years. Oh well. Can’t let that sit on the brain to stew. Then, for fun… other day, grabbed a piecea paper and started writing all the names of those that at one time or anuther “occupied the passenger seat” throughout my lifetime.. Still, woulda loved the first way, but.. after looking at the list (and it’s unfortunate length) I thought to myself “S and shinola.. in a way, that’s pretty cool.”

The grass to be mowed, clothes to be washed, the blower fan on my car that ain’t working .. them things I should be tending to – yet – occupy my time here. Stressy, ain’t getting stressy about it. Thank you youtube, Facebook, Wiki, Sudoku, The Dish, Corner, work (I love my occupation), friends, family, MU, Royals, Chiefs, Liberty, KCFX, KMBC… lot that occupies me..

Friday night. Computer "terminal". Oh shit. NOW WHAT? How do I occupy my time? WalMart. El cheapass emachine brand (don’t care… long as it gets dot-com). Yessir, I’ll have to getya one from the back. Ten minutes later, kind young man comes back, nuttin’ occupying his arms “I’m very sorry sir.. we have to get a manager to come open the electronics cage.. it’s kind of a game.” Bastard was occupied I guess. Finally, twenty minutes surpassed. Hard for me to demonstrate onea those “arm on hip, elbow extended, lookin’ down over the toppa my glasses LISTEN TO ME DAMNIT” looks.. but did.. at Customer Service Counter. Older lady, very nice.. Filled (occupied?) with Customer Service... immediately walked back, opened cage. Did make me wonder what was occupying the time of the original manager they tried to fetch.

Saturday… sweat.. cigs.. several hours of trying to get online to no avail occupied my time.. Finally, called AT&T. (“Please call technical support”).. Did. The next five minutes occupied taking to very smart machine that recorded my name, address, phone number, account number, last 4 of Social, and I think mebbe that list of all them women that rode shotgun.. can’t remember..

Then, got warm body on other end. “This is so and so with AT&T, how may I help you today?” YES! YES!. Explained “new computer, won’t lemme access internet (oh, and that I was behind on my bill, got that crap caught up) and that it’s SO GOOD to finally have a warm body on the other end. ”What message are you getting?.. Give me a moment.. I’ll try to help.” Then, I think she musta went on a date with that first WalMart manager that was beckoned ‘cause (sorry to my relatives for my language) the bitch never came back to the phone.

Five more minutes.. time occupied by ashtray almost overflowing.. scrabble (thanks to cheapass emachines freebies).. “This is so and so with AT&T, how may I help you today?” WHAT? I gotta do this allover again? (not very good at “arm on hip, elbow extended, lookin’ down over the toppa my glasses LISTEN TO ME DAMNIT”). Lady was a jewel. Occupied with me for ten minutes, reset modem/password… FINALLY… YEAH! CONNECTED!

I’m a customer service freak. Occupies my time, LOVE seeing/giving good customer service. HATE when it goes the other way.

Turning, I’ve been labeled to exhibit “avoidance behavior”, and si, I love being old, stingy, doing whatinthehell I want wheneverIwanna. Occupied sometimes without getting on task, doing things needing done (“The grass to be mowed, clothes to be washed, the blower fan on my car that ain’t working”)…

Love the word occupied. Love what occupies my life. Sure, wish passenger seat was occupied, but ain’t gonna let that occupy all my time. Stingy I am. Have fun occupying whatever you’re occupying. Love, Victurd.

No comments: