Monday, July 05, 2010

Pomp & Circumstance…..

Of course, we recognize this as the song typically played as the graduating class, be it high school or college - walks on stage to signal their end, or their beginning.

I look at life, this song, and think of it more along the lines of “what the hell now?”…

Was visiting with beautiful cousin’s kid recently.. Graduates from College in December.. When asked “whadda ya gonna do in the real world?”.. replied, “dunno, scared.” As she went on further, learned she’s solidly aground in an internship program with a huge company, and she’ll have an easy (and well earned) transition.

Life though, brings us to those points “what the hell now?” occasionally. Death of a loved one. Divorce. Job loss. Illness.. Family history of depression… Financial trauma.. Being on the wrong end of verbal abuse, physical abuse… Weight gain.. Career not going as planned.. Feelings of inadequacy, and I would imagine, perhaps even aging..

Getting out of the blocks, in this “what the hell now” period is easy for many.. Resiliency. Approach versus reproach.

Some, however, mire. I’ve done both. Get-up-and-go… and I’ve also on other Pomps, mired in the circumstance . I guess mire would kinda be like falling off a boat in the middle of the ocean… you do nuttin’ all day ‘cept tread water. The longer you go, the harder the treading goes - and sometimes you actually feel inwardly “why even tread?”

The more ya need to do the things that’ll help ‘get you outta the water’ (social interaction, frequent contact with good friends/loved ones, confiding your feelings with someone close, eating well/right, exercising, perhaps professional assistance) the more depression tugs on your sleeve and says “huh uh… we ain‘t doin‘ that/”

Quoting Popeye, “I cants be’s nos doctor ‘cause I’m losing my patience” - I’m not a doctor, but just from own personal observation, sometimes I believe depression is situational. In very rare instances, I believe there can be a life changing event (or events) that puts that pep back in your step… lifts you back into the boat where coping with the real world is allofasudden, easier, more natural. Generally though, I think it’s a process, and you (the depressed one) gotta be the center of directing that process.

It’s not fun admitting ever being depressed, but I write in case you are.. Or in case you suspect a friend is.. Or a family member… Or simply should you run across it in the future, you’ll be better outfitted to assist…

It’s my guess, more of us (than not) have at one point in our lives, been depressed…

Below is a pretty decent article I found on basically how to deal with depression.. I welcome you to browse thru it, even if you personally have never been depressed.. Will help give u the tools to help someone you love that might be……

Thanks and love, Victurd…..

http://helpguide.org/mental/depression_tips.htm

No comments: