Sunday, June 06, 2010

Because I should……

Come here many a time, stared. Blank brain. Blank Word sheet. Dayum. Come today, “because I should.” Sposedta, I guess.

Behaved in school, for the most part, ‘cause I should. Went to college, ‘cause I should. Down on my knees (twice) to propose, ‘cause I should. Worked (and worked) ‘cause I should - that and the fact I enjoy warm baths, lights on, AC/heat, etc.

Wear mostly appropriate clothing, ‘cause I should. Bathe, brush chops, throw on deodorant, ‘cause I should.

That said (again and again) I do love those who spout the three most wonderful letters on earth.
“Why?”

Two-a my HS classmates, when told “get a haircut, because you should” asked “why?”.. There wasn’t a good answer, yet, each, were prohibited from continuing to attend school. Because it shouldn’t have ended that way.

Conform to HR rules, don’t ‘technically’ gender discriminate, and don’t say things I shouldn’t to chickies that I may be thinking. Technically - you ask? I (lovingly) love to diss women at work any chance I get. They know I’m teasing, and rather than be offended, they’re sometimes prompted to smile… and that plays LARGE with me. We smile, because we should.

For instance.. On break.. Equal number-a chicks/males.. Subject of births was brought up. Somewhere into it, I threw in “I was born in 1952.. Delivered by a female physician…which was rare in those days… now though… we let women do a lot more things.” Hehe. So, while they stare at me (with smirky grins), they don’t say STOP IT Victor (because they shouldn’t) and I just stare back with a smile.. one small way to get around "because I should."

The brain somehow allows us to defy “because I should” whilst still conforming to school, company, societal ways. Come out of the dugout, not from leftfield. Sand WITH the grain, not against it.

Nomme. I love Abby Normal. I giggle the first time I hear a toddler say “shit” because it mortifies the parents into YOU SHOULDN’T. Because you should (behave, walk straight/narrow, don’t pass go, don’t collect $200... Exit only.. Wear nice clothes to church.. Wash behind your ears… wear nice undies in case ur in a car wreck... HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT?)

Nomme. My undies have character. Hehe. I am bored shitless with “because you should” so I love pushing the envelope. “________, you’re disgustingly sappy on the phone.” She is, in fact, VERY nice to our customers, because she should be. I prefer to give her crap about it. Just once I’d love to hear her cuss someone out on the phone, but it’ll never happen ‘cause she shouldn’t, she’s probably got very clean behind the ears, and undoubtedly un-holy undies.

Just read nifty article on John Wooden. Just passed, probably the greatest basketball coach ever. 1957. He was coaching a small college basketball team back East. Qualified for National Tourney in Kansas City… wouldn’t bring team however. Happened to have a young black man on their roster. NAIA said “you can’t” (ie, because you should follow our ways/rules.) Wooden, probably inside, said “Screw you… we ain’t coming.” And they didn’t. Way cool John. “It wasn’t because he was a great player, because he really wasn’t… it was because it just wasn’t right.” Rest in peace Mr. Wooden, God Bless.

Hard to fathom where our Country/World would be today had not folks stepped up and spouted “why” to “because you should.”

Going now. Because I probably should. Gonna go bathe, flip my undies (jk… already did that last time… time for ‘new’ character pair. Speakinowhich.. WHY do they call undies “a pair”?)

Gonna go stare at the happy weeds in my flower bed. Drives Gladys (because you should) Cravits crazy. Play a game or two of Sudoku. Take a nap. Put my feet up on the counter. Anything I can think of to question “because you should.” HEY... TEACHER.. LEAVE US KIDS ALONE.....

Have a great day, because you should. Love, Victurd.

No comments: