Friday, July 30, 2021

Roll call....

 I once was lost, but now I'm found..  Was blind, but now I see.

Yes, well aware of the meaning of this song, as well as the history.  In this particular case, I'm talking about folks awakening later in life. Sure, about/with God, but also awakening to the realm we live in, emphasis on the live.

As with any blog, writing, opine, it is just that. This is my take, not asking you to agree or disagree, just felt like giving you the view from my stinky shoes. I assure you my shoes are stinky.  For years, I NEVER wore socks.  Now, Doc says I gotta wear these compression socks, eh, all well and good.  Getting back to stinky, I've ordered the same shoe three consecutive years.  Basic blue sneaker, slip on. It's all I wear, thus, stinky.

Where was I... oh yea, lost.

In this hourglass affair called life - I think we are mostly lost (head down, not paying great attention) until the damn sand is about all on the bottom. We spend daily attention to getting up, getting going, scurrying home, only to rinse and repeat the next dadgum day.

We don't catch the fact of, nor admire, that cute little bungalow at the intersection of Main and Oak. We don't sit back and stare at the Pavlov's on Interstate, mindless in their commute - we ARE them too.

Along the commute of life, we're asked "How are you?" Oft times, we're walking South, the ask-er is walking North, they ask, and before you know it, they're past us, we didn't have time to answer, and of course we couldn't ask them either due to the hurry-up-and-bury-your-head life we carried with us in our 30's, 40's, 50's, etc.

"I'm OK."  "Not too bad."  "Same old, same old."  "I'm good." "I'm well."  All of the above answers don't tell Jill, jack about Jack.

Yes, 20, 30, 40, 50-something we have more energy, we look better, feel better - but, my take, where most of us lack is in PAYING ATTENTION TO LIFE (not too mention appreciating it.)

Victor, this specific blog is pretty boring. Oh contrare scrambled-egg-breath... you are retired, you're reading this, it's your choice, you probably don't have a bra on, nor makeup, you still have bedhead, and your socks don't match.  THAT.  That's why it ain't boring. You are choosing to be here. Just like we now chose darn near everything we do.

We drive.  We notice.  We talk, visit, we pay attention.  We've always seen other's smiles, but now, we appreciate them, pay closer attention to them... and sure, wonder "geez, I bet he/she is having great sex..." or, "wow, musta got a letter in the mail from the IRA trustee announcing all the interest they've accrued this month."  "Life is good for them," I NOTICED!

We, our class in high school, Liberty High School, class of 1970, have a site on Facebook dedicated to us.  Twice now, Covid has 'stolen' having our 50th Anniversary Class Reunion. We just cancelled, and now it's set for June of 2022.  In preparation of this delayed reunion, a kajillion and four pics were posted from the 40th Class Reunion.

Happy people.  JUST starting to notice, appreciate, life. It was old well and good until I clicked and the next picture was two smiling, very happy faces - who no longer grace us with their presence on this Earth. It makes one stop and think.

It makes trivial crap just that. It makes us say things like "I love you" when we useta couldn't.  It makes us hone in on that smile and REALLY appreciate it. It prompts us to say "How ya doin.?" AND we REALLY listen to the answer.

We touch, because we can. Our eyes, while size 10 type is no longer in our wheelhouse - we actually SEE better than ever before.  We remember, "well, I recall the time you and I were 'sideways'," but that's gone, forgotten and replaced by love and a thankfulness we're both still on the planet.

We maybe never shared a car ride, calling "shotgun" or, asking for a buck to help with gas - but by golly, I remember you, and when I do I smile. Cliques have long been replaced by 'click', as in, we really do regardless of how well we knew each other in the past.

Those pictures.  Those pictures of those gone - oh how we all wanna run up to the person and say "I wish I'da told you...." how sweet you were... how envious I was of how you played the flute..how gorgeous your eyes were..  how much I appreciated you being my friend and having you in my life."  No can do now.

That.  That's why we pay attention now.  We have an appreciation for everything, in particular sunrises.

That's all folks.  Well wait a moment Porky. Until 'that's all', we're gonna pay greater attention, appreciate the little things, and sure the big things too.

Roll call:

"Victurd"

'Here... thank God."  And I'm so glad you are as well.

No comments: