Friday, May 19, 2017

Gotta second?

The Soviet Union. Kentucky. Lookin’ at Lee. Thomas Dewey.

Miracle on Ice – young dudes from US beat the Soviet Union. The Soviets, from past history, have used “alternate news” in reporting events like this. Headline might say “SOVIETS SECOND PLACE!!! (US next to last). Trumps all eh?

Christian Laettner’s “Shot” to win the NCAA Tournament over……… Kentucky. Second place, who remembers?

Always Dreaming kicked butt in the mud, won the Kentucky Derby over……. Lookin at Lee. Onto the Triple Crown? Who knows, we only remember Secretariat, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, American Pharoah.. we don’t remember the ones who won a couple but FINISHED second (or worse) in the udder races.

“Dewey defeats Truman” claimed the Chicago Daily Tribune on Novermber 3rd, 1948, the day after the presidential election. Oops. Hot of the press, not a second to spare – so to speak.

Next. Following. Subsequent. Succeeding. Secondary. Lower. Subordinate. Subsidiary. Assistant. Can’t get past second base. Oops, sorry. Heck, I’ve even been in a relationship where I was in second place. Big juicy kiss? EWWWW. Two to tango, three, can’t really dance.

Storytellers. A second time, or worse. Do you stop ‘em or do you suffer thru (again?)

Thankfully, from a family with two children – my sister and I never knew ‘second place.’ We were equals, thanks to very loving, fair parents.

It’s no secret that I have a love for sports. I love me some dudes, dudettes from my past that HATE second place. Losing sucks to us all. Win, fairly, squarely, by the rules, but win baby. Level best, every time.

“I never could stand losing. Second place didn’t interest me. I had a fire in my belly.” Ty Cobb

“Second place is really the first loser.” George Steinbrenner.

“My dad taught us that there’s no greater distance than that between first and second place.” Janet Jackson

Second-class citizen. Second hand. Second banana. Wait a second. Second guess. Any second now. Second nature. Second fiddle.

Is second ever good? Uh huh. Second helping. A double. Passing first grade. Second chance. Second time in one day… you perverts. Sunday. Sunday is the second weekend day. Second story. One Mississippi two Mississippi. Helps when keeping time I reckon. Second child. I always put my left shoe on second. Habit. Second nature I reckon.

I gotta get back to work. Just needed a break for a second. I am so happy for your eyeballs here, I hardly gave it a second thought not to be. Happy weekend – I hope you second that. Love, Victurd



No comments: