Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hello darkness my old friend

I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

One of the best times I've ever had, was on the patio of a restaurant - good friends, sitting around. We knew each other, the basics - where we worked, who our mates were/weren't/usedta be, the car we drove, where we grew up, the basic chumminess of fairly frequent meets. Thick, yet shallow. The topic came up "let's go around the circle, and tell one thing about yourself that no one else knows." The answers amazed, and lent depth to a greater, more loving friendship.

In restless dreams I walked alone
Narrow streets of cobblestone
'Neath the halo of a street lamp
I turned my collar to the cold and damp
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

To me, we (most, many) live in a world where feelings, thoughts, wants, yearns are pent up - and that's so very sad. Bravo to the man or woman having capable partner/friend to explore oral 'orgasm', ie sharing ALL feelings, thoughts, ideas about not only one's self - but those of the other.

And in the naked light I saw
Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence

Day by day, mechanical. Pleasant, sure - yet almost artificial. Departing if I may from depth, one day it was myself, and four women on break at work. I noticed all four women talking at the same time (and if this borders gender discrimination - have at, as with tongue in cheek - it's just one true descriptor for the WONDERFUL feminine species).. anyways, all four were talking, so I asked "If there are four women, and all four are talking, who's listening?"

We talk, we greet, we smalltalk - we rarely deep talk. Discriminating on gender again, we men are ingrained "to not compliment, to not explore depth of character." Makes me wanna gag and Garfunkel.

"Fools", said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you"
But my words, like silent raindrops fell
And echoed
In the wells of silence.

Sure, do as I say, not as I do - but I'm working on that. (I write to/for me, hitchhikers welcome).. See a person down? Ask 'em if they wanna talk. See a person looking/acting very vibrant, let 'em know "you're looking, feeling vibrant." Victor, you must be genuine though - otherwise it reverts to people talking without speaking - people hearing without listening. Dig? Uh huh, thanks.

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they made
And the sign flashed out its warning
In the words that it was forming
And the sign said, "The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls
And tenement halls"
And whispered in the sounds of silence.

Today's pace for the everyday race for the mortgage is frenetic. I'm going to try to listen more, talk less. Drive slower, observe more. Ask questions to/of friends that make them think (and genuinely know I care) "hmmm, it's really nice this person cares enough about me to ask that, therefore, I'm pretty sure he/she cares, I'll remember that, and pay it forward."

It ain't about age. So many of my young friends amaze me. Guy at work, never fails, before I can get out "Hi", he's already spouted "Hi Vic, how are you doing?" It too is possible for a 14 year old to have more depth than a 60 year old. Shame on us. Let's start today, doing better, warding off the sounds of silence, REALLY get to know better (deeper) those in our every day life, and even our family members.

Simon was 22 years old when he wrote this - already keen to the frailty the sounds of silence lend. Far out. Groovy even. Love, Victurd.

2 comments:

Steve Estes said...

Interesting, Vic. I've listened to the song many times without catching its meaning. Talk can be dangerous. If we open-up, address the issue, or ask the difficult question where will it lead and what will be the consequences? I agree, however, we would all be better off to do more of it. On the other hand, when the idiot box is finally switched-off or the inane argument comes to an end, Silence is Golden.

Check engine light said...

Steve, thanks for reading/responding! (And hope you're doing well)... For sure, I agree on what you said. My take of the song certainly isn't gospel - and I'd Googled the meaning of the song prior to writing - and there are a lot of takes.. I appreciate your thoughts!