Saturday, May 26, 2012

Be a fountain....


(Editor's note: A preachment dear friends you're about to receive on John Barleycorn, nicotine and the temptations of Eve.. to me, for me, welcome to tag along, and thanks - if you do so)..

Boss's boss took me to the Royal's game the other day. A very nifty thing, and I - extremely thankful... We walk into Kauffman Stadium near the outfield... come upon "Fast Beer" place.. damndest thing I'd ever seen. They had like three 'burner looking things'... they take a plastic cup, lower it onto the burner-looking-thing, somehow - a hole the size of a nickel is made in the bottom of the cup... the beer shoots UP, like a fountain... fills in a millisec.. and a magnet, the size of a poker chip drops down to stop the liquid from escaping. Like I said (I HATE when people say 'like I said', but) like I said, the damndest thing I ever saw.

But there I was.. I was taken to a place... no - wait.. that's a different song.. this one is beer fountain, not spill the wine...

Made a 180 degree turn toward the field, and nuttin' tween us and the playing field except some magnificent fountains. Kansas City is the city of fountains, and the Kauffmans captured that perfectly in their design of the stadium. Winds blew a much needed mist on us fans this hot, sultry day..

Fountains = uplift. I am extremely happy to report I've had three of the most wonderful compliments in my entire lifetime this past week. IF THEY ONLY KNEW. Fountains. I wanna 'pay it forward' and hopefully uplift another soon. Daily. Whenever I can.

Rex Hudler. He's presently the 'color man' on the Royal's TV broadcasts.. Much like any change, many don't like his antics. They're used to Frank White, Splitorff. Hudler is different. Upbeat. Occasionally zany. I don't get to hear him often, so I can't really address his talent, or lack thereof, but I can tell you I like him, his persona, his life.

Rex Hudler was a journeyman minor leaguer who finally made it to the bigs. A 14 year career saw him travel to 7 different teams, and 3 different countries. He always resurfaced when told "not good enough". Upbeat. Fountain.

He once took a june bug off his ballcap, and on a dare by his Cardinal teammate, ate it for $800.

You can knock Rex Hudler down. Witness the Yankees, the Baltimore Orioles, the Montreal Expos, St. Louis Cards, Yukolt Swallows, California Angels, Philadelphia Phillies.. and again by the Angels, this time fired as a broadcaster. Knocked down, he continues to smile, be upbeat, enjoy life. He's a fountain.

Rex Hudler and his wife have a child with a chromosomal abnormality. He and his wife started "Team Up For Down Syndrome", have raised thousands for public awareness, housing, education, job training, family counseling and health care for those living with Down Syndrome. He gives his time in every city he travels to. A fountain.

Rex grew up poor. His mother raised him. Her lifetime recommendation to him: Be a fountain, not a drain.

In spite of the blows life has placed on Rex, he chooses to be a fountain. He gets knocked down, but he gets up again. (Sorry Tubthumping, but I soooo like your song.) He smiles. He continues to be upbeat. He is a fountain, his mother should be proud.

Victor, be a fountain, not a drain. I'll try. Love, Victurd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Victor, for this uplifting and inspirational piece. More of us should strive to be fountains instead of drains.
This old world would be a better place if more of us strived for that, to be fountains of smiles, better moods, to help each other more, instead of building barriers to keep others down.
Thank you