Sunday, June 06, 2021

Leonard...

Victor, we know, we know.. "this blog is for you, by you, hitchhikers welcome."

Yes, and this one is selfish.  Yep, I do post these on Facebook, but, in addition to the above (when hopefully promoting positivity, "not preaching") the blog can hopefully periodically bring enjoyment to a reader.

All that said, typed, I also have noted when I type a blog that's primarily personal, it's usually about as popular as a flat tire on Interstate (on the left side, closest to traffic.)

Well, humpity hump bump bump, and apologies, I'm in this one.

Eureka!  A weekend to attend a celebration of life - in, Eureka Springs. My 'brother inlaw' passed away New Year's Day. I say 'brother inlaw'.  He was married to my ex wife's sister.  Since my divorce long ago, we've been left to tease each other as "outlaw sister" (her), "outlaw brother" (me.)

The pandemic, back in the first of the year, made it so formal funerals were basically impossible to due social distancing, worry about Covid, and written law regarding gathering size.

I'm not a great fan of funerals. I'm weak and I break down in visitation lines.  I truthfully never ever want to see a person after they've passed, again. I know many do..I don't.. I prefer to remember them as I did.

That was the intro, and yes, sad.  Celebration of life is a much better idea, and this one certainly fit the bill.

My BIL and SIL, MAJOR hound lovers, were SPCA before SPCA was cool.  Once, to the tune of surfacing over 2,000 sq ft of a house with tile. Rescues, fosters, some with illnesses, afflictions that no one else would take and love, oh boy did they.

If you're gonna have a celebration, why not do it at a gorgeous destination.  Howabout virtually an entire campground of cabins high up above the White River in Eureka Springs.  Back decks on all of the cabins had porches that ran the length of the rear of the cabins. Those with multiple bedrooms, the damn decks wrapped all the way around.  Perfect gathering views suited comfortably for the perfection of enjoyment, levity among friends and family.

Celebration = happy.  No one was happy on the 'why' we were there, but celebration of a life should be just that, a celebration.  Friday night, as folks rolled in, back decks were filled with talk of yesteryear, and yes, and occasional beer or glass of wine for those that desired so.

One of BIL's loves was float trips.. SO, as it should be, Saturday morning, 9:30am, a 4 mile canoe (or kayak) trip, included in the price of the cabin, camaraderie, happiness of it all.

If the gorgeous lifting of the fog, the stately mountains surrounding, or the conglomeration of various types of birds, animals didn't awaken you - it was fer sure a tumble into the 58 degree temperature White River would! I chickened out, er, I mean, I have a wound on my leg I've been going to a Wound Care Clinic for some time now, it ain't quite all healed, WCC say "You no get leg wet".  Have you ever taken a shower with a kitchen trash bag over your lower leg, wrapped tightly with an Ace bandage? If not, I might (probably won't) show you video of me slip sliding away as I enter, exit the shower wearing that.

So, many floated.  Us chickens roosted on the back deck of onea those big damn wraparound decks, and shared war stories and watched for the floaters to eventually appear at the takeout, just to the West of our cabin deck. We hooted and hollered one by one as they appeared.  Only a few 'tested' the 58 degree temps.

Next up, food.  Yum.  Ribs, chicken, brats, dogs, beans, brownies, fruit, eye and belly candy for this fat man.  Big concrete patio was up the hill a ways, taking more breaths away from the beauty of the River below and the cliffs above.

In a continuation of celebration, BIL and SIL loved a particular band.  So, they were hired.  A 4pm start was perfect because the majority of us are early to bed old farts, and, there were probably a few cabins filled with non-related campers, so, to not keep them awake late at night, the band ended at a decent hour.

In addition to there being my ex wife, an ex girlfriend of mine, and the daughter of my 8th grade girlfriend all being there (interesting right?) there were all ages of folks... several hounds.. a pointer who lived on the property and was non stop ALL around the sparse campground.. a basset who provided the standard basset "Burrr urrrr urrrr" sound on command, along with the belly that dang near touched the ground, and ears that almost did too.

My favorite, however, was a black lab mix named Leonard. During the luncheon, Leonard 'gadded about' with leash on, no human attached. Hands were held out to summons him, if he chose you (and he virtually chose all), you'd be lucky enough to keep his attention, and his self there long enough to get a darn good scratchin' in.

Leonard ALWAYS had one eye on his owner.  I guess he assumed she might leave him, but, with the view, all the places to run, the river, not to mention tons of ribs, maybe not a bad place to be left.

Leonard didn't dance amongst the 25 or so that did, but, he did follow his master to the dance floor almost every time, plopped down right next to her as she danced...then she would lead him to the nearest empty lawn chair after, and I was so lucky that was the chair right infronta me several times. I never tired of giving soft ear rubs, good ole back scratches, and lotsa conversation, as if he understood human talk.  He was pretty smart, mighta.

I had many 'favorites' during the trip.  Catching up with old buddies.  Seeing the joy of my SIL's face as so many good, great friends, family attended the celebration.  The long back deck where my SIL stayed and most of us gathered. (Has anyone EVER seen a porch that ain't popular?  I ain't.)

Continuing on favs, the river, the mountains in the background, the Arkansas accents, the familiarity of voice of Missouri friends. The happiness of those dancing.  Grannies lifted grands, then hopped and jumped along side 'em as they did.  Moms did too.  The moms were probably the most graceful, the kids the most jovial, fun to watch - but the dancing of the grandmas, the smiles on their faces and the obvious exhaustion within each was nifty to see.  A celebration.

Everyone petted Leonard.  Everyone. He really wasn't a side to side tailwagger, really didn't have an apparent smile on his face, he just somehow made people feel like they needed to walk up to him and starta scratchin' on him.  In fact, the owner said "if we do this again next year, I'm gonna strap a tip jar on him."

A wonderful time was had by all, inspitea those damned ole Biden high gas prices, tsk tsk, the signed 20 mph curved roads thirty miles going to, or leaving Eureka.. As I looked back though, I knew exactly when my favorite moment happened.  At the completion of a song, the dance floor cleared, except for Leonard (laying on his side) and a 4 year old girl laying beside him, hugging him. I don't remember if the band took a break, or they simply waited a bit for the hugging to finish - but it went on awhile.. high above the White River, just below the mountain tips, amidst both sides of the family, friends, loved ones, and yes, even ex wives, gf's and gf's daughters. Color me wimpy as men ain't supposed to have 'aww" moments.  Screw that, it was an aww moment.

River. Cabins. Porches. Mountains. a wondrous meal. Live music. Gathered folks that loved one another.  Dogs.  Leashless dogs. A certainty BIL was smiling from above.

A beautiful celebration.

Love, Victurd

No comments: