Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Uncertainty…….


This I’m sure of: I’m uncertain of our future.

2016 has seen great loss.. and great gain.. Ya gots roughly 7 and ½ months (once ya find out) to know/watch/wait “great gain”.. Great loss can come in the flip of a light switch, when you had no idea it was so dark.

Politics. I know I know. Yes, I have a side. Yes, I will support. Yes, I pray for our country. Being led by someone who has never been in political office (some say “a wonderful thing”) to me, will be akin to wearing a blindfold on the Zambezi Zinger – never knowing if we’re one wrong turn from the noggin’ catching a steel girder – or, if we’ll eventually come to an exalting, emotional, safe stop.

Music. Who are these guys? Once we baby boomers ultimately check it in – will Ray Charles, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton continue to hit the airwaves? Hell, will there still be airwaves?

I am really really certain, we daily go about our business, living next ta one-another that may not be the same color, size, religion, sex, sexual preference, culture, socio-economic status, big city, little city, suburb – and again, we daily go about our business pretty darn congenially. That said, I’m certain we’ll never end hardheaded, opinionated, prejudicial, biased people. The certainty of that leads to great uncertainty.

Family. Uncertain. When I was 9, I thought I’d live on Miller Street forever, devouring mom’s famous (to me) Spanish rice.. playing whiffle ball.. wearing out the knees of my jeans. That’s changed. Man has that changed. Family pictures over the years, great change. People die. Become estranged. Move to where visits become almost financially impossible, to ultimately physically impossible. Divorce. The certainty of uncertainty.

Sports. Will football lawsuits one day surpass profits? Will the New Yorker ever draw the line and say “I’ll be damned if I’m gonna pay $120 for a baseball ticket, or, refinance my house to buy post season tickets in the possibility we make it.” Will youth sports continue to hand out a trophy to all? Will the youth basics (baseball, basketball, soccer, etc) eventually be 365 days a year PER SPORT, and if/when that happens, what will we have accomplished?

Jobs. You name it, I/we’ve seen it. Continual smooth rides to retirement. Chapter 11’s and 7’s. Many companies fall to the wayside due to better things coming around, like Blockbuster. Like my great grandfather’s buggy building business when the first car came around. Relocation. Jobs cut. Jobs added, busy time ends, jobs cut. Companies that make it, no matter what, due to plan, focus, ambition, attitude, ethics, commitment to both customers and employees, train, assess. Wanna job there? Ya mostly never know. Oft time ya mostly got no choice.

Terror. Hideous. No certainty of “what’s next”, “is he on the ‘good team’”, and “I just didn’t see that coming”. A hop back on that rollercoaster of uncertain paths.

I’m certain I’ve gone on too long. Many thrive in uncertainty. Many can’t take it. Many painfully make it. Many, many absorb the ups, the downs.

Merry Christmas, certainly….
Victurd

No comments: